What purpose does an annual visit serve?
An annual visit at Fairfax OB/GYN Associates, P.C. serves many purposes for women’s health. The main purpose is to detect current health problems, some of which include breast abnormalities, pelvic infections, and cervical cancer. It also is a way to evaluate risk factors for new problems, which could develop, and to monitor your health changes over time. Our providers also provide guidance so all our patients can live well and exercise good health habits.
When should I have a GYN exam?
Women should receive GYN exams starting at age 18, or whenever they begin sexual activity (whichever comes first). If during the annual visit a woman has normal Pap tests, normal breast exams, and no other problems regarding her reproductive health, she may only need a check-up once a year.
Other reasons for a GYN visit
In some instances women need to visit their OB/GYN offices for a problem/issue visit in between annual exams. We recommend you schedule an appointment with an OB/GYN provider if you have any symptoms or problems that you feel are not normal or you may have questions about. Some of problems include but are not limited to:
- You have heavy or unusual vaginal discharge, or other signs or an infection such as irritation/itching, sores, blisters, or warts.
- You are having menstrual problems such as heavy bleeding, severe pain, or skipped periods.
- You are bleeding or “spotting” between normal periods.
- You have pain or bleeding during sexual activity.
- You have frequent, unexplained pelvic pain.
- You are planning on becoming pregnant, or do not wish to become pregnant.
- Your sexual partner has been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection, or has
symptoms of one.
If you did not see your issue or problem listed above please call our office and speak with a nurse to discuss your issue or use our non-emergency contact form and a nurse will respond to you within 2 business days.